In the modern world, many ways are introduced to overcome the problem of rough surfaces and concealing grouting, such as lining paper. Apply lining paper on your rough walls that will help you to cover the rough patches and give a complete look after installing faux brick wallpaper on your wall. Moreover, this technique is also valid for cement blocks. However, when you building blocks with cement and brick, ask your builder to apply the mortar for the flat surface.
Tools are needed to prepare the rough surface for wallpapering:-You require many tools for wallpapering the surface of your rough walls, such as a trough, scissors, sponge or foam paste applicator, a long table or bench, a ruler, a razor for cutting, a soft brush for smoothing wallpaper onto the wall, and plumb line. These tools are used in the process of smoothing the wall.
How to smooth rough walls in your home:-A paint sealer is applied on your walls that help to dry any moisture from the wall. After that, install latex-based wallpaper on the wall. Moreover, a well soaked pre-pasted wallpaper lining is sufficient to soften the bond of lining to the wall. Furthermore, you can use this process for rough walls. However, if your brick wall has raised and rough surface, you have to be plastered before wallpapering.
1. Before starting working on the rough walls, first seal and size the wall. Coat the wall with the paint sealer and leave it overnight to dry. Apply latex-based liquid over the paint when it dries properly; it is good on the rough surface. This may require an hour to dry.
2. In the second step, apply lining paper on the walls. Soak the paper in a trough to soften. After the rollout, fold over and back half to arm’s length to make the pleats at the end of the roll.
3. Hold the top piece of the paper in one hand and pleats in the other hand. Stretch the first pleat along with the wall and flatten it with a sponge. After that, stretch the next plate and flatten, and so on.
4. To paper around the corner of the walls, leave one-inch overlap and put an adjacent strip of the paper on it.
5. Repeat the process of soaking and folding and bring the next roll of the paper lining overlapping 6 mm onto the first layer.
6. When you apply lining paper on your walls, leave it overnight to dry. With this, it will tighten and stretch over the rough patches and grooves on your wall surface.
7. Before installing the wallpaper on the walls, coat again with the latex-based wallpaper; it adds insurance that the lining paper is sealed, tightened, and properly to the wall.
8. In the last the type of wallpaper is important. It should be heavy natural weave and embossed that ensure that the imprint of the design of the wallpaper is not lost when pasted on the wall.
9. In the last step, hang your selected wallpaper on the walls in the vertical direction.
This article is about how to make rough surfaces valid for wallpapers. You can also use faux brick wallpaper for your raw walls. In this article, different steps are given for smoothening the rough walls.